Each sleeping room at International House is furnished with a bed, a mattress, a wardrobe with a full mirror, a desk, a chair, a large and/or small bookcase, window treatments, a chest of drawers, a ceiling fan, a telephone, and high speed internet access. Residents may choose to bring any number of items to personalize their room and make it feel like home.
Listed below are some of the items previous residents have identified as important to their overall comfort. If it is not convenient for you to bring these items from home, it is easy to acquire any of these items while in Chicago.
- Toiletries (soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, toothpaste, toothbrush, perfume/cologne, shower shoes/sandals, etc.)
- Small Refrigerator (not necessary as you may rent bins from the community kitchen; refrigerators should be no more than 4.0 cubic feet)
- Small Microwave (microwaves should be connected to the small refrigerator)
- Cookware (pots, pans)
- Dishes & Silverware
- Hangers for Clothing
- Blanket(s), Sheets, Pillow
- Ethernet Cable (Wireless internet is available in International House, but students sometimes prefer to use wired internet)
Room Decor Supplies
- Desk lamp or other task lighting
- Alarm clock or radio
- Personal computer and printer Note: All sleeping rooms are wired for high-speed connections and have wireless access.
- Small rug (5'x7' are typically accepted in most rooms without a problem)
- Posters for the walls (NOTE: holes from nails or tacks are considered damage to the room, we suggest utilizing removable putty or removable hooks)