July 27, 2015

I have ended my project and am back in Kathmandu. I am really grateful for the Davis Grant for giving me the opportunity the help communities in Nepal. I am also thankful for the support of the UChicago International House without which I would not have been able to achieve any of this.

I was able to help Shree Bhairab Secondary School in Alad and Shree Rastriya Secondary School in Dhangadi. Both these schools have students from poor and marginalized groups in Nepal and most of them are women. I was able to provide both the schools with not only one fully equipped computer lab but also stationary materials and supplies to the school that will ensure that the students are able to excel all round. I have also provided training to the teachers to make sure that they teach the computers to ensure that the students get the most out of them. The schools, in the long term, are also thinking about making the computer lab available to the community. When the schools are not in session, they can start a computer training program for adults in the villages. This will provided extra revenue for the school as well as empower other adults in the villages.

Dhangadi and Alad are two communities in Nepal that have had inter-religious and inter-ethnic conflict because of poverty and lack of education and opportunities. I am sure that these computers will emerge as a silver lining to not only the students in the school but will go on to positively affect their families and the broader community.

Scroll to Top